Tuesday, February 9, 2010

At the Foot of Your Cross


With Lent approaching... my mind returns to Passion Friday, 2004. At dawn, I awoke somehow already praying... my heart's song echoing the Divine love present in my dreams. Love listens... love forgives... love gives.

And here I am today, still musing over the journey that ensued following the prayer in poetry that issued forth that early morn.

At the Foot of Your Cross

I gaze up into your stricken face.
You lift chin from chest gasping,
Silently a sunken self heaves up and down.
As I watch shoulders rise and fall.

And I feel your breath.
Love listens. Love listens. Listens.

Here I am Lord holding on
At the foot of your cross in tears.
Splinters in skin as I grasp your feet,
Laying cheek on blood and dust.

I hear last words from you strike me!
“Father, forgive them” enters my soul,
Written on my heart in prayer your message.
As you exhale a last act of suffering.

And I feel your breath.
Love forgives. Love forgives. Forgives.

I watch my Lord as you hang limp,
Alone up against a dark sky.
Slack against wood bleeding still,
I am nearly lost without you.

Fallen to ground I lie next to you quiet.
No space between my heart and yours,
One we are now your death saving me.
Surrendering to each other we will live on.

And I feel your breath.
Love gives. Love gives. Gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment